Thursday 19 July 2012

St Boris and St Gleb: The two first Russian saints to be canonized.


Good day to you and above are two more of the pictures which I took in Sheffield.   Below
                                                                    

   Fish on Friday 
   ST BORIS AND ST GLEB
    Children of St Vladimir 956-1015, after their fathers death they were murdered by emissaries of                   
    their elder brother Svyatopolk. Although they could easily have offered resistance, they refused to 
    take up arms in self defense, preferring to avoid bloodshed. As St Gleb says in the ancient Life of the 
    two saints, `It is better that I alone should die rather than such a multitude of souls`; in Mahatma 
    Gandhi`s words, `If blood be shed, let it be our blood.` Although they were victims of political 
    struggle, not martyrs for the faith - and although, according to the Life, they met death with fear, 
    bitterly lamenting their tragic fate - the Russian Church proclaimed them as saints only five years 
    after their deaths, giving them the special title `Passion-bearers`. They were the first Russian saints
    to be canonized.

Boris and Gleb could not be fitted into any of the traditional classes of Christian saints known to the Byzantine church. Their sacrifice might appear unreasonable, even foolish, but it reveals such an integral acceptance of Christianity, such a determination to reject violence, such a deep penetration into the redeeming mystery of innocent suffering, that these two princes have rightly become the first saints of Russia, the very incarnation of its peculiar interpretation of Christianity. To become a `Passion-bearer`, to be an innocent victim, slain for Christ`s sake, to refuse the use of violence even in the face of death, these were the implications of Christianity which produced the deepest impression upon the newly converted Russians.
                                                                                                                                  NICOLAS ZERNOV                  
   
The above reminds me how I as a Christian when living in the Philippines lacked the ability of Boris and Gleb, when I fought of an attempt to murder me by half a dozen bad guys and sustained a small stab wound in my upper arm, whilst deflecting the stab from my heart. Back then I wasnt as good a man as I would have liked. Unlike now when I dont partake of any alcohol, back then I would often be under its influence and ignore all Christian calling whilst its effects lasted. I know my sons would say its better I fought of the attack than was murdered. Now though, or maybe in a year or two they may think differently.

Anyhow I will be going of to my art therapy session in about 15 mins and so am going to make a quick coffee.  Will hopefully do an evening post, although saying that, I am meant to be taking my boys to a Tao Chi  lesson this evening. What will be will be. You all have a good day and know that you are loved. Your Bro Peter. 

No comments: