Saturday 1 October 2011

It has been a long, but good day with my sons and Buster

Ten to seven at night. My eldest sister Viv took my sons and me over to a place called Barton springs. Those who know me may rightly guess that I had intended to take a load of empty water bottles over to fill up and of course forgot them! Never mind, worse things happen at sea. Its so hot here for the Buster and me, that we have got an upright fan on low. That was a free gift to us from the universe. That last word I like especially if we seperate its two elements. 1st. Uni meaning one. Secondly, verse. Hmm, could be one song. That makes me try to think of a Bob Marley track, but I cant for life of me come up with the title at this moment. Some of the lyrics went, "lets get together and feel alright". One something. Was it World? If it wasnt, then it ought to be.
Ive just read that an Irish fellow by the name of Joseph Scriven graduated from Trinity College, Dublin, and promptly fell head over heels in love with a girl from his hometown.They got engaged and planned their wedding and began to dream of their life together, as man and wife.
The eve of their wedding arrived at last, and Joseph`s fiancee saddled a horse to go and see him. Tragically, it was one of the last things that she would ever do. A littl e later, Joseph saw his bride-to-be riding towards him, and he grinned. But suddenly, just as she was crossing the bridge over the river, the horse bucked and threw her like a rag-doll down into the river belowl In blind panic and in vainJoseph tried to save her, alas she died.
Heartbroken, Joseph emigrated to Canada, where he eventually fell in love again. In 1854. joseph was due to marry Eliza Roche, but she flell ill. The wedding kept being postponed, but eventually, three years later. Eliza died. Joseph Scriven would never again give his heart to another.
Back home in the old country, Joseph`s mother was deeply concerned for her heartbroken son, as he was for her. One night he wrote her a poem to comfort her, little knowing it would become on the the best loved songs of all time. Several years latera friend foung it in a draw in Josephs house and was moved. `The Lord and I wrote it togethr,` Joseph replied. This poem has been a comfort to millions:
What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a priviege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!
O what peace we often forfeit,
O what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer.
Have we trials and temptations?
Is there trouble anywhere?
We should never be discouraged:
Take it to the Lord in prayer!
Can we find a friend so faithful,
Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness
Take it ot the Lord in prayer!
Im going to leave you now. I did enjoy having my two sons over for the day. Now they are back home with there mama and their stepdad. Buster my faithfull German sheperd is laying on the floor here, enjoying the fan - as am I - on this hot day. I shall leave you now with Gods peace.
You brother in Christ and with all the saints including St Joseph and St Albans. Peter.
o

No comments: