Friday 28 October 2011

Fish on friday

Good day to you.I should add that it is rather late in the day, here in England. Had a busy one and so this is the first chance I have to blog. Those of you who have not read all my blogs wont know why I often call Friday`s blog, `Fish on Friday`. Well, my elder sister, said, `Peter keep the spiritual blogs to a minimum and so although to its very nature it creeps into other blogs; its stamp can be firmly placed on a Friday. During my six years living in the Philippines I spent a lot of time at the catholic church and they traditionally eat fish on Friday. Also the fish was a sign us Christians use to recognise each other at times of persecution.
I would like to share some sayings from a few of my favourite mystical saints;
`To saints, their very slumber is prayer.` St John of the Cross
I shall tell you the first thing that brought into my mind. When you go to sleep with faith in God, you sleep in peace, as you leave your life in his hands and can rest assured that if harm befalls you, then God allows it for his good purpose.
"How is it lord, that we are cowards in everything save opposing thee?"
St Teresa of Avila
"It is love alone that gives worth to all things."
St Teresa of Avila
As (I hope that) we know, God is Love and without it we are lost. Fortunately there are beacons to show us the way. My Lord Jesus once said, how you treat the least of my people you treat me. So this is applicable to the following saying.
"The bread you store up belongs to the hungry; the coat that lies in your chest belongs to the naked, the gold that you have hidden in the ground belongs to the poor."
St Basil
I am greatly heartened when I hear of the good that Bill and Linda Gates are doing with there wealth, and along with them many others. Having spent six years in the Philippines and spent some of that time amongst the poor and visiting orphans, I know there is so much needed. Also there are those who have so much, but none to give. I just noticed, I spent six years in the Philippines and that was the time I spent married before my wife Tracy, God bless her, took her life and accidentally gave me a brain injury! So my brothers and sisters I shall leave with a note to my late wife , followed by a little piece by C.S.Lewis which puts it on an even keel.
Tracy my farling, when God gavee you to me he never said that you were mine, that I could keep you always - only borrowed for a time, Now, he`s called you home, I`m sad and I shed tears. Yet I`m glad he loaned you to me and we had those few shared years.
Your beloved Peter
" God , who foresaw your tribulation, has specially armed you to go throght it, not without pain but without stain. "C.S.Lewis.
Have a good weekend my brother and sisters. Know that I have just spent some time praying for all of you. Brother Peter

No comments: