Monday 27 February 2012

The art of getting better. Letting go of past and being present.

  There was a man who ate a lot and was still hungry, and another who ate a little and was satisfied. The one who ate a lot and was still hungry received a greater reward than he who ate little and was satisfied.
Apohthegmata Patrum

Good day my brothers and sisters. What was your initial thought on reading that? Mine was on the purely literal, surely the man who ate little was better of than the man who was hungry. Then I looked at it from the spiritual viewpoint. I saw myself, as one who has never been contented with this physical plane and is always searching and taking in spiritual sustenance. It is not for the purpose that one is still hungry, it is because one cannot be satisfied with worldly things alone. The world will at a point in time pass, yet Gods love is eternal.

`The enemy of our Salvation especially strives to draw our heart and mind away from God when we are about to serve Him, and endeavours to adulterously attach our heart to something irrelevant. Be always, every moment, with God, especially when you pray to Him. If you are inconsistant, you will fall away from life, and will cast youself into sorrow and straitness.`
                                        St John of Konstadt

Becoming centred for me is to let go of thoughts of self. God alone is enough. This thought brings me to God as my centre and my centre as connected to all in the universe. In church millions of people at one point in the service will say, "We are all part of the one body." Do we realize it! I do and then I lose the connection, with the intrusion on worldly thoughts. I get it again and keep in it by not trying to hold on to it!

  The knowledge of the Cross is concealed in the Sufferings of the Cross.
                                       St Isaac the Syrian

The work of prayer belongs to the angels, and is, therfore, the special concern of the church. Every othe work, ie, charity, nursing the brethren; visiting the sick, caring for prisoners, releasing captives, and other similar things, is done by the brethren in love and offered by them to God. Similarly, poverty, fasting, sleeping on the ground, prostrations, vigils, etc, are good and like a sacrifice to God, because they aim to subdue and humble the body so that we may be purified and approach God and become friends of God-- yet these things do not present us directly to God, whereas prayer does so and unites us with him. A person praying acts towards God like a friend -- conversing, confiding, requesting --- and through this become s one with our maker himself.
                                           St. Symeon of Thessolonica.

I really get a lot from the one above. It makes me think of when we can think of ourselves as Godly people and yet spend more time watching mindless television than in the company of God. Perhaps thats the main reason I chose to have this computer and no actual hooked up television!
Its coming up to 10am and Buster has already been over the meadow once, but that was just a short jaunt as there was a fullsize poodle out for exercise which they have been confrontational with each other and the owner loses her head a bit.  Descretion is the better part of valour, thought I whilst beating a hastey retreat!
Me and the Buster are going to go out again shortly and I thought I would do as I have some times done recently. Every time I pick up a bit of litter - which by the way is helping to tidy His kingdom - I shall say `Thank you Jesus` whist thinking of all the things I am thankful for. Like being able to walk free and not be locked up in a prison, either justly or unjustly. Being able to walk or run and not be in a wheelchair or bedbound. Having another day to repent and say sorry for all past wicked actions, words and thoughts. Being gratefull for all I have especially forgiveness for others and myself. If we cant love ourselves, we are belittling Jesus, for dying on the cross to pay for all our transgressions. So as I have said, I am off now with the thought, `Thank You Jesus` in my head.

Blessings and peace to you, my brothers and sisters. Peter      
 

No comments: