Thursday 24 November 2011

Good day: My top ten Taoist sayings for today

My brothers and sisters, these are my top ten zen sayings for today, nay for this moment that they are being written. If I tell you that I am writing them in no particular order, that shouldn't mean that you would be unable to discern some significance to the order, just that it would be the Tao and not me that had directed it!
1) Just live and enjoy life
Lieh Tzu
2) Mystified? Tao is mystery:
This is the gateway to understanding.
Lao Tzu
3) Be simple and true to your own nature.
Be selfless and at peace with the way things are.
Lao Tzu
4) Tao is not something from which you can deviate.
A way that you can lose is not the Way.
The Doctrine Of The Mean
5) Words are limited, like the beings that use them, and can
only express the affairs of this limited world. They can not
be used to describe the eternal, limitless Tao.
Tai Gong Diao
6) If you could apply any attributes to Tao
it would not be Tao
Chuang Tzu
7) If you think you can speak about Tao.
it is clear you don`t know what you are talking about.
Lao Tzu
8) If you stick rigidly to one spiritual discipline, even if
you become a master of it, it is the same as blocking
the flow ot Tao by clinging to a small aspect of it.
Lao Tzu
9) Buy captive animals and set them free.
Dispense with the butcher and abstain from death.
While walking be mindful of worms and ants.
Be careful with fire when in woods and forests.
Don`t go to the mountain to trap birds in nets.
Don`t travel to the river to poison fishes
Don`t slaughter the ox that ploughs your field.
Tract Of The Quiet Way
10) Be quiet.
Look inside.
Soften your sharp edges.
Simplify your thoughts.
Follow your own light.
Be ordinary.
Then you will see for yourself
That you are a part of the whole.
Lao Tzu
Well my brothers and sisters, its 2pm in the afternoon and I am due for a rest. This will comprise of me laying down with a good book to read and maybe a herbal tea! This morning I cycled down to my mothers and met my nephew and we cleared up the fallen autumn leaves from her lawn and then all sat down for some of mums lovely home cooked grub.
This evening my sister Viv is driving me and the Buster over to Milton Keynes for one of his obedience classes.
Okay though, I want to leave you with this little story, which is partly about letting things go.
Two monks were out walking when they came to a fast flowing river they had to cross. Next to the river was a young woman wanting to cross, but in fear of being swept away. The young monk dutifully avoided looking at the women. However the older monk instructed her to climb upon his shoulders and he crossed the river and they went their separate ways. After quite some time the novice monk was vexed and said to the other monk "Brother we have taken Holy orders, how could you have touched a women and taken her across the river?" " Brother," he replied, " are you still carrying her in your mind, I put her down a long time ago."
Also its about judging others by your own standards. The young novice would definitely of had carnel thoughts if he had touched the young woman and so he judged that his elder would have likewise. Some of us may want vengance on those who try to kill us and yet some of us for forgiveness for them and that they see the light. I have to go with the latter as that is the path I was destined to follow.
Wishing you all a good day, your brother Peter.

No comments: